REALLY???
REALLY???
Actually, we have no idea how she did it. We turned around and she had an inch long laceration on her forehead (and wasn't concerned about it at all, she was more concerned about the bread in Daddy's hand). We searched all the "sharp edges" we could think of in the house. We even contemplated how she could have hit her head against a hard edge of something and it caused a split like an elbow causes a split face in a basketball game. Nothing. I said we needed a black light like on NCIS to find where the blood was.
She was a very, very good girl for us. She sat staring at Tim's bread while I looked at the cut. Yep, about an inch long, didn't look like a scrape from a toenail or even Cole's teeth (yes, they are very aggressive when they wrestle).
I decided she did NOT need a trip to the vet, and went to get some saline and tweezers to clean out any fur in the way that might get infected. Tim held her face and then I found the little maybe 2millimeter flap of skin that made the cut gape a little. Tim was totally grossed out. I went and got the skin glue and an iodine prep stick. She sat very still and let me work on it.
We let her go. She immediately pulled up her back leg and itched it!!!
NOOOOOOOO!!! She reopened it and smudged the skin glue around.
We grabbed her and went for Round Two, this time gopping more skin glue around the area. Instead of letting her go, we held her and pet her and scratched her and talked to her, telling her "no" every time she lifted up a foot (she even tried to rub her eye with her front paw).
I asked Tim if he wanted me to put something on it, saying, "if it was a person, I would put steri-strips on it," and Tim said, "but she's all furry." I ended up trying a band-aid.
She wanted to itch even more!!! So after a few more minutes of holding her (and laughing), I took it off. And miracle of miracles, she was so glad it was gone she didn't try to itch. At all.
The problem was, we needed to run to the store and by the Miller's house to take over some treats, so we packed up the dogs in the car, with Kensi on my lap in the front seat. They NEVER ride on our laps anymore. She was freaking out and couldn't figure out a good place to sit. She got stressed out when Tim left to go in Albertson's, and she got so excited when he came back she almost fell off my lap, meanwhile scraping her toenails into my leg. So glad it's not shorts season, I already have a good 3"x1" bruise.
Cole panicked because Kensi was getting to come inside with us (Tim carried her) and climbed into the front seat. Poor baby. Mommy AND sister abandoning him. But boy was he excited when we came back!!! All Tim and I had the energy to do was come home, warm up a ravioli bake, and sit on the couch and watch Planet Earth (Jungle and Shallow Seas). The good thing was, Kensi didn't try to itch at all and pretty much went to sleep (unless I opened the cheese drawer in the fridge). My proudest moment was when Tim commented on how much money I had saved us in vet bills in the last week. Ha.
And this morning her cut looks SO much better. We're hoping it will now just heal like any other scrape they have had, and that our cute little photogenic Kensi won't have a scarface forever.




No comments:
Post a Comment