Saturday, January 19, 2013

Caprese Soup

Today, being Saturday, is one of those days where Tim is off work and I actually have to plan something/make something substantial for lunch.  None of this just eat tangerines and yogurt and milk and apple and pretzels.  I always try to use whats in the house, but not something that we would make for dinner.

Today I made-up some Caprese Soup to go with our grilled cheese!

I don't normally like tomato soup, but I needed something to go with the grilled cheese, so I decided to doctor up the tomato soup using ingredients I had in the fridge.  I happen to have some mozzarella and basil leftover from Chicken Caprese.

Caprese Soup

1 can Campbell's Tomato Soup
1 can milk (instead of adding water)
1/4 t. pepper
2T Trader Joe's Enchilada Sauce
2 t. dried minced onions
2 sprigs basil, chopped
4 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated

I used a small saucepan on the stove, medium heat, to heat the soup, milk, pepper, enchilada sauce, and onions.  When it was warm, I added the cheese to get it to melt.  Right before the grilled cheese were ready and it was time to serve the soup, I added the basil.  

We thought it was pretty good, especially to dip grilled cheese in.  (I use wheat bread, buttered only on the outside, and 3-4 slices of Tillamook cheese on the inside of my grilled cheese).  Eating the soup with a spoon, you could definitely taste the pepper and enchilada sauce, and, not being a huge tomato fan, I liked that.

Happy Saturday, friends! 


No comments:

Post a Comment