So last Friday, Tim had the day off work so we spent the day doing chores around the house, going to Home Depot, and shopping for a birthday present for our nephew Nathan. I decided to make Tim these potatoes we had kind of made up when the Hasenfus came over for dinner the other week, along with some chicken. So I boiled the potatoes and marinated the chicken and preheated the oven.
We have a terrible oven. When we moved in, the first time I used it it was really hot, on the outside. Like the kind of hot I don't want to touch and definitely don't want the doggies noses to touch. So I Facebooked our family friend Laurie whose family owns The Factory Applicances, and she said that it just wasn't a good brand, but don't buy a new one until it really breaks. So oven was fine besides being hot, until recently, I guess we make potatoes in olive oil often enough that it got spattered all over the oven enough to start making it dirty and smokey, only I didn't know it was smokey until the smoke detector in the hall started going off every single time I opened my oven! So last time I cooked, I just took it down and pulled out the battery.
I guess I forgot about the smokey oven in my happiness of making Tim yummy potatoes. I put the chicken and potatoes in, and some time later went to check on them. The marinade around the chicken was getting brown and maybe smokey, yup, about 30 seconds after I closed the oven, the smoke detector in the hall went off. They really, really hurt my ear, like make me want to cry hurt. I stood on a chair, pulled out the pin, twisted the smoke detector off, opened it, and pulled out the battery. Ha. Beat you smoke detector!
The the smoke detector in the entry way went off. I waved a magazine at it. No other smoke detectors had gone off before this! That one went off again, and I dismantled it, starting to get angry. Then the one at the end of the hall in our room went off, and as soon as I got that one down, the one in the baby's room went off. At this point, I could not believe how many smoke detectors this house had!!! They're like, 4 feet from each other!!! Tim came back in the house at this point, and I screamed at him as another one went off, "I don't even know where it's coming from!!!"
At this point I was so angry that I opened the oven and, seeing the marinade around the chicken smoking, I grabbed hot pads and opened the patio door and threw the chicken and potato pans outside on the patio and slammed the door, throwing the hot pads on the floor too, and retreated to the driveway outside (ie. the only place far, far away from any unknown smoke detectors). After I had a cry, I came back inside, where Tim now had fans going and every window and door open.
He informed me that when I put the chicken and potatoes outside, the dogs were outside. He had just come inside from giving them dinner. Of course being the starving beasts that they are, Cole and Kensi ate the chicken and then were working on the potatoes when Tim saw them and went and took the pan. This made me cry even more that our dinner was now unsalvageable, and the doggies probably burnt their tongues.
We ended up having In-N-Out for dinner (because Orcutt Burger was not taking cards).
We think Kensi did burn her tongue, even after giving them some milk she sat all evening licking her lips.
They didn't get breakfast the next morning. They still looked full from the night before.
And I need to clean my oven. Good thing I don't plan on using it until Thursday. Does chicken cook in a toaster oven???
No comments:
Post a Comment